• Re: How long is Swiss cheese aged?

We all know that Swiss cheese tastes great. What else do you know want to know about Swiss cheese? Here are answers to some of our most frequently asked questions:

WHY DOES SWISS CHEESE HAVE HOLES?
    Not because of mice! The holes are a natural part of the process that turns milk into delicious Swiss cheese. Check out the “hole” story to learn all the details.

WHAT MAKES SWISS CHEESE HEALTHY?
    Swiss cheese is known for being among the healthiest of cheeses. It is an excellent source for protein and calcium. It has lower sodium and contains more phosphorus and vitamin B-12 than other cheeses. The benefits of Swiss cheese make it a great fit for your healthful diet.

WHY IS IT CALLED SWISS CHEESE?
    Swiss cheese is the general name for several varieties of cheese made in North America. It is quite similar to Emmental cheese, which was first crafted in Emmental, Switzerland. So while the name comes from Switzerland, our Swiss cheese is deliciously made right here in Brewster, Ohio.

WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN SWISS CHEESE AND BABY SWISS CHEESE?

Baby Swiss is slightly lighter and tastes a little sweeter than regular Swiss cheese. When it comes to Swiss cheese, the larger the holes or “eyes” are, the more pronounced the flavor of the cheese. So regular Swiss cheese has a mild flavor that is slightly sweet and nutty. Baby Swiss is smoother, creamier and milder than its regular counterpart. Visit our cheese page to learn about other types of cheeses we craft!

CAN I FREEZE MY SWISS CHEESE?
    Be careful. Freezing Swiss cheese can cause it to crumble. It’s better to keep it refrigerated. Baby Swiss, however, often fares better in the freezer.

I FORGOT TO PUT MY SWISS CHEESE IN THE FRIDGE WHEN I GOT HOME FROM THE STORE. IS IT STILL OK TO EAT?
    Yes! Swiss cheese doesn’t actually have to be refrigerated. Refrigeration only keeps the cheese from getting moldy as fast. It may “sweat” or get hard around the edges if you leave it out for too long, but it won’t hurt you to eat. The taste may change a bit after longer periods, so if that’s the case you may want to think about melting it for use.

What is discussplaces?

DiscussPlaces is a place to make new friends and share your passions and interests. Quench your thirst for knowledge, discuss places with other aficionados, and swap recommendations. Are you an aspiring foodie who dreams of living in New York? Or perhaps you are looking for the best chicken wings in Cincinnati? Then this is the place for you! Any one can join in with a passion or interest – whether it be talking about their favorite restaurant in Barcelona or raving about their latest trip to Italy. Join us!

This page shows discussions around "Is Swiss cheese from Switzerland ?"

Tags

swisscheese swiss dishes swiss cheese swisscheeseholes swisscheeseprice swisscheesewscheddercheese swisscheesebrands

Add a quick comment about your valuable suggestion to help us improve.

We are glad to make you happy, kindly share this feedback with your friends and family to know as well

Where is it?