• Discussion Fanatics

If your question is “can I connect a receptacle rated for 20 amps to a circuit designed for 15 amps?”, the answer is yes, because the receptacle can handle more current than the circuit is rated for. If you exceed 15 amps, the breaker will blow, and protect the receptacle.

• Discussion Fanatics

No, a 15A breaker will not trip at 16 amps, at least not for a long time. I can understand why a 15 amp receptacle shouldnt be used on a 20 amp (12AWG) service but a 20 amp receptacle should be able to handle the load safely. But a 15A receptacle CAN be used on a 20A circuit, IF there is more than one.

One may also ask, how many 15 amp receptacles can be on a 20 amp circuit? Table 210.21(B)(3) also shows that a 15 amp receptacle can be installed on a 20 amp circuit that serves 2 or more receptacles. Commentary following 210.21(B)(2) in the handbook clearly states that 15 amp receptacles are permitted on a 20 amp circuit.

Also to know, can I replace a 15 amp outlet with a 20 amp outlet?

Electrical plugs designated as 20-amp will not fit into 15-amp outlets. A 15-amp circuit is usually served by 14-gauge wire and is protected by a 15-amp circuit breaker or fuse. A 20-amp circuit, protected by a 20-amp breaker or fuse, must be served by 12-gauge or 10-gauge wire.

Can I install a 15 amp GFCI on a 20 amp breaker?

Yes, you can legally and practically use a 15 amp GFCI receptacle on a 20 amp circuit (fed from a 20 circuit breaker or 20 amp fuse) - as long as: There are other receptacles on the circuit. OR. the GFCI receptacle is a duplex receptacle.

What is discussplaces?

DiscussPlaces is a place to make new friends and share your passions and interests. Quench your thirst for knowledge, discuss places with other aficionados, and swap recommendations. Are you an aspiring foodie who dreams of living in New York? Or perhaps you are looking for the best chicken wings in Cincinnati? Then this is the place for you! Any one can join in with a passion or interest – whether it be talking about their favorite restaurant in Barcelona or raving about their latest trip to Italy. Join us!

This page shows discussions around "Can you put a 20 amp outlet on a 15 amp breaker?"

Tags

amp amp receptacle circuit amp circuit receptacle

Add a quick comment about your valuable suggestion to help us improve.

We are glad to make you happy, kindly share this feedback with your friends and family to know as well

Where is it?